Saturday, July 2, 2011

Lucas Koerner's Article about Israeli Independence Day

Lucas Koerner, is the Jewish-American that was brutally arrested in Jerusalem in 2011.

He wrote this article before the arrest and it is very interesting.  It starts: 

"If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country … There has been Anti−Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They see but one thing: We have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that?" — David Ben−Gurion, founding prime minister of Israel.
The rest of the article is at:  The dark side of Israeli Independence Day - Op-Ed - Tufts Daily - Tufts University

I wanted to find out what happened to Lucas after the arrest. In an interview he says:
              "The video has reached such a wide audience primarily because of my privileged 
position as an American Jew. I think that this kind of injustice which was 
perpetrated against me would make headlines and provoke such a 
visceral response. But my treatment, again, was moderate by the standards faced 
by Israeli and Palestinian activists in [the occupied East Jerusalem neighborhood] 
Sheikh Jarrah and in a weekly basis in [the West Bank villages]
Biln or Nilin, and their videos are only seen by a few hundred people.
It’s the fact that I’m an American Jew that [the video] has seen such a wide audience."


No comments:

Post a Comment